Delivery Truck Accidents
When a delivery truck hits a pedestrian or collides with a smaller vehicle, it’s highly likely that serious – if not catastrophic – injuries will result. Sometimes it’s the sheer size and weight of the truck that causes such injuries. In other cases, if the truck is loaded beyond capacity, this may just make matters worse. In any event, it’s a traumatic experience for all involved: one that can result in massive medical bills and financial losses.
Causes of delivery truck accidents
It’s scary to think that the business of driving a delivery truck would cause a driver to be negligent, but unfortunately, that’s often the case. Many truck drivers are on the road for several hours at a time without getting adequate rest. As a result, they may become fatigued, which can lead to shorter reaction times and increased driving errors.
Delivery truck accidents also occur because the drivers are frequently under pressure to deliver pizza, flowers, furniture, groceries, packages, documents or other products within a company-dictated deadline, which can lead them to speed or drive carelessly.
Other causes of delivery truck accidents in Massachusetts include:
- Driving drunk or under the influence
- Making an illegal turn to get to their destination faster
- Stopping unexpectedly to make a delivery
- Failing to yield to traffic
- Forgetting to put on their indicator or check their blind spot when changing lanes
- Neglecting to properly maintain the vehicle
- Lack of adequate training in how to handle the vehicle
- Improper securing of cargo or overloading the truck
Injuries arising from delivery truck accidents might include whiplash, broken or fractured bones, spinal injuries, crushing injuries, burns, paralysis and even death. The medical expenses, missed days at work, and other financial losses arising from these injuries can be financially devastating.
Massachusetts delivery truck accident lawyers can help you receive full and fair compensation
It’s the unfortunate truth that neither the delivery truck driver’s insurance company nor your own insurance company has your well-being in mind in after an accident. Insurance companies are mainly concerned with resolving the matter as cost-effectively as possible. More often than not, their representatives will offer you a minimal award or one that fails to take into account your long-term needs.
If you don’t have legal representation to fight for your rights, it’s unlikely that you’ll receive the full amount of compensation to which you’re entitled. An experienced Massachusetts delivery truck accident lawyer can help you obtain full compensation for both your current and long-term needs by:
- Fully investigating the accident to determine all of the parties who are at-fault
- Reviewing all relevant insurance policies to identify your rights and benefits
- Designing a powerful legal strategy intended to bring you maximum compensation
- Negotiating with the at-fault truck driver’s insurance company to ensure that you receive the full compensation you need and deserve
Delivery truck companies will have representatives vigorously fighting for their interests. So should you.
Peter Ventura is a truck accident lawyer committed to helping people in Massachusetts who have been injured in delivery truck accidents obtain compensation for their injuries. Call today for a free consultation at 508-755-7535.