Taxicab Accidents in Massachussets
It’s enough of a challenge to obtain adequate compensation for injuries when involved in a motor vehicle accident, but if you’re a victim of a taxi accident in Massachusetts it’s even more so.
As reported in a recent Boston Globe article, many Massachusetts taxi drivers are woefully underinsured. Typically, they carry only $20,000 in liability insurance for bodily injury, the minimum required by the state. Unfortunately, this amount is often insufficient to cover the costs of medical expenses and lost wages arising from an accident.
Taxi drivers have seven times the accident rate of ordinary vehicles and, unlike regular vehicles, it’s their job to carry passengers. This is why cities such as New York and Los Angeles require their drivers to carry minimum of $100,000 worth of insurance. (Chicago drivers are required to carry $350,000 worth of insurance.)
While many Massachusetts drivers have underinsured motorist coverage that supplements the insurance coverage of the at-fault taxi driver when the driver’s insurance coverage is insufficient, it can still be a struggle to receive the full and fair amount to which you’re entitled.
Causes of Taxi Accidents in Worcester
Taxi drivers can be hard-working individuals and competition in Worcester is considerable. Unfortunately, these circumstances may lead drivers to become fatigued and distracted, which can cause an accident. Other factors that cause taxi accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Inattentive driving (e.g., on cell phone, looking at GPS, etc.)
- Failing to yield right of way
- Failing to maintain taxicab in proper working order
- Driving under the influence
- Taxi driver driving away before a passenger has fully exited car
As with any motor vehicle accidents, taxicab accidents can cause grave injuries, including concussion, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, whiplash, facial lacerations, mental stress, and death.
The medical expenses and financial losses arising from these injuries can be overwhelming. Fortunately, you might be entitled to recover the costs of your medical bills, future medical expenses, lost wages, and compensation for the pain and suffering you endured.
How a Massachusetts taxi accident attorney can help you
No matter whether you were a pedestrian struck by a taxi, a motorist in a collision with a taxi, or a passenger in the taxi at the time of the accident, a taxi accident lawyer can help identify and secure your right to compensation for your injuries. Among other things, a skilled lawyer will:
- Assess whether you’re entitled to receive financial compensation;
- Calculate how much compensation you’re entitled to receive;
- Use investigators, mechanics, and other experts, if necessary, to reconstruct the accident and determine who is legally responsible for your injuries;
- Aggressively negotiate with the taxi driver’s insurance company (and your insurance company under some circumstances) to ensure that you receive the compensation you need and deserve.
Peter Ventura is a motor vehicle accident and taxicab accident lawyer dedicated to helping people in Massachusetts injured in taxi accidents obtain compensation for their injuries. Call today for a free consultation at 508-755-7535.