Worcester Highway Accident Lawyer
Massachusetts highways pose unique risks for motorists; the 4 seasons cause unpredictable driving conditions and potholes, but the high rates of speed mean that when collisions happen, they often cause serious injuries. Read about common accident causes, plus how we handle and investigate accident claims and lawsuits.
Highway Accident Evidence:
Prompt, professional investigation and documentation by law-enforcement authorities are critical in highway accidents. Testimony from witnesses also helps establish exactly what happened and who was at fault.
Accidents on highways often involve specific evidence:
- Skid marks.
- Yaw marks.
- Vehicle debris.
- Road gauges.
Why is such evidence important?
If you’re injured in a highway accident, your attorney can hire experts in collision reconstruction. Expert analysis can help determine the facts of a crash.
What Causes Highway Accidents?
We work in Worcester and Central Massachusetts, so we’re familiar with serious accidents on a number of local highways, including:
- Interstate 90.
- Interstate 190.
- Worcester Expressway, Interstate 290.
- Interstate 395.
- Interstate 495.
Multiple problems can contribute to serious accidents on freeways, highways and interstates.
- Driving at unsafe speeds.
- Weaving through traffic and changing lanes without warning.
- Drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Drivers who are overly tired.
- Drivers who are distracted.
- Aggressive or enraged drivers.
- Poor maintenance of highways.
- Dangerous weather conditions, including snow and ice.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, many activities can distract drivers:
- Reading or looking at maps.
- Using GPS units.
- Watching video.
- Changing a radio or MP3 player.
- Conversing with others in the car.
- Eating or grooming.
- Using a cell phone.
What’s the most serious source of distraction?
By far, it’s texting. When drivers text message, experts say, all aspects of attention — manual, visual and cognitive — are occupied.
Who’s most affected by smartphone distraction? Young People.
Drivers in their 20s constitute:
- 23 percent of drivers in deadly crashes.
- 27 percent of distracted drivers.
- 38 percent of distracted drivers who were using a cell phone at the time of a fatal crash.
Individuals who have been injured — and loved ones of those killed — in accidents on major highways need professional legal assistance.
As an experienced Worcester highway accident attorney, Peter Ventura has handled an array of accident cases.
- Locations include interstates, highways and freeways in Massachusetts.
- Ventura’s law firm has the resources to work with independent experts in accident reconstruction.
- Experts assist in evaluating and presenting injury claims in court.
Serious Damage from Highway Accidents
Fatalities on Massachusetts’ roads are among the lowest in the nation. The state had just 4.9 deaths per 100,000 residents in 2014. That year, 310 fatal crashes occurred, and 328 people died.
Although the crash rates are low compared to the rest of the country, the results of those accidents were devastating for the individuals involved.
Highway accidents are especially costly, in damage to property and in the frequently irreparable damage to people’s lives. Families can be financially ruined by ongoing medical treatment, surgeries, multiple hospitalizations and — in some cases — lifelong therapy for accident victims.
Contact an Experienced Highway Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been the victim of a highway accident, don’t suffer in silence. You may be entitled to compensation that can help with your medical bills, lost wages and other expenses. To ensure that your rights are protected, work with an attorney who is highly experienced in litigating highway accident cases. For a free consultation, contact Worcester highway accident attorney Peter Ventura at 508-755-7535.
Image via Flickr by Highway Patrol Images